Thursday, August 30, 2012

Picklewiggle. The Name Alone Says It All



I just love that I do what I do.  I haven’t had a real job in forever.  Instead, I get to read, write, eat, sleep, and play with my kids all day long.  I love when all of these things come together.  They did over the last few days.  Amelia Picklewiggle’s children’s books did it for me.  I got to read them, write about them, eat treats with Abby, and play with her while she gave me her expert commentary on Tessa’s Troubles, Samuel’s Big Day, and A Day at the Circus.  The truth is, she’s too big for these books and has made her way into chapter books, spending hours devouring far more advanced stuff.  I think she’s happy for the time we spent on these ones, though.

Tessa’s Troubles tells the story of a rescued Dachshund shopping for Valentine’s Day presents with her owner, Mommy.  Abby says, “It’s a really cute dog, and dogs really are spoiled in stores.”  It’s a sweet story, and I quite enjoyed it.  I have to say that the art is playful and whimsical.  It’s a fine picture book, though I think Tessa’s troubles are far behind her by the time this book starts.  I enjoy the interactions between Mommy and Tessa, and anyone who’s ever had a rescued dog will recognize the situations.

Samuel’s Big Day tells the story of a dog waiting to be adopted and how a family chooses him from among other dogs at the fair.  Abby says, “Sammy was sad because nobody wanted him, but somebody did want him.  He just hadn’t met her yet.  Most people have somebody that want them, Dad [Somehow over the last year, I’ve become Dad instead of Daddy] and they just need to get out and find them.”  Pretty profound for an eight year old, huh?  The story is cute and heartwarming, and even though it touches on the cliché about the scruffiest or tiniest or ugliest dog getting picked, it doesn’t embrace it.  It was a great book, and any kid still in picture books will love it.

A Day at the Circus was another good one.  Abby, of course, immediately began bugging me to find a big top somewhere near us, and promptly lost interest in discussing the book.  Of course, the excitement itself was as good a vote of confidence as any quote could have been.  The art, like the other two books, is whimsical and fun, and I quite enjoyed the book and again think it would work well for younger kids.

I have seven kids, and all of them are past the point where these books will appeal to them fully.  Still, I remember reading books like these to all of them, and it’s highly likely that my oldest will be frustrated because of Picklewiggle because now I’m in all-out grandkid mode.  So come on, Zac, get off your rear, find a wife, and give me grandkids.  You, too Nate.  Nic, what’s up with that girl you took out?  Any hope for the pitter patter of little feet?  Get busy.  I want to hold little kids again (aptly named WJ after their doting grandfather.)  I’ve already got the books picked out I want to read to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment