Saturday, September 10, 2011

Vampires: Done to Death? Guest Post by Rebeka Harrington




Rebeka Harrington started her writing career working for the local newspaper as a teenager. She stepped away from writing for a while but always remained creative.  She’s a true eclectic, with wide and varied tastes that usually end up in her writing.  I was fortunate enough to get her to put together a guest post for us.  She particularly enjoys writing about vampires, and her new novel Vampires Revealed is an interesting and unique take.  (I know you’re thinking “What interesting and unique takes are left?  Trust me on this one.  I’ll be posting a review in due time.)
Rebeka is charming, beautiful, and a real writing talent.  I’m happy to say this guest post isn’t all you’ll hear from her.  We have an interview that will be up soon as well.  And without further ado…here’s my first guest post.  Enjoy


Vampires: Done to Death?
by Rebekah Harrington

Ever since Anne Rice reignited interest in vampires there has been a steady and ever-increasing procession of vampire related fiction hitting bookstores. Some might say vampires have been ‘done to death’ (pun intended). So why, in a world dominated by a virtual excess of vampire fiction , would any author choose to add to the existing overabundance?

Well I certainly can’t speak for other authors, but for me writing about vampires was much like Alexander Fleming’s discovery of penicillin…it was a happy accident.

Like many other small business owners in the current economic climate, I found my business suffering a major downturn. While this has made life difficult, I discovered without the demands of my business, I had more free time on my hands. What to do with this free time?

For as long as I can remember I have been fascinated with vampires, mostly because I am also fascinated with history. To me vampires represent ‘living’ history. They can also be dangerous, brutal, sexy, good, evil and can scrutinise humanity in a way other fictional characters cannot.

As a self-confessed vampire fan I’ve consumed my fair share of vampire fiction over the years, through books and movies. As much I’ve enjoyed this consumption, everything I have ever read or watched had one thing in common - they left me with questions.

I had now stumbled on what I could do with my free time (my ‘happy accident’); I would set about compiling a list of all my unanswered vampire questions and research the answers. And that is exactly what I did!

Who was the first vampire? How did that happen?

How does a blood-drinking body differ from that of a human body?

Do they have a system of government, laws?

What do they really think of humans? Are humans only food?

After drinking so much blood, do they ever need to use a toilet?

Where did the myth start and why?

That is just a small sample from my very long list of questions.

When I started researching, trying to find some answers, I discovered many people before me had asked similar questions and not found satisfaction. It seemed no matter how much time and effort I spent on my quest for information, I was doomed. Since the answers to my questions apparently didn’t exist, I decided it would be fun to try and answer them myself.

It had been many years since I had done any serious writing, but found it was like riding a bike and it all came flooding back to me. Formerly I had written regularly for a local newspaper. The writing might have come easy, but the answers still escaped me.

Then I had a breakthrough, I discovered the origins of vampires and how it was possible for vampires to exist at all. This breakthrough led me to my main character, Bektamun. She is 3000 years old, has lived through and seen it all. With her help I was able to document the entire history of vampires; their lives, laws and lifestyles. Together, Bektamun and I had written ‘Vampires Revealed’.

Falling back on my experience of writing for newspaper the initial version was somewhat brief, but I gave it to a friend to read anyway. She devoured it and vehemently demanded MORE!

From the humble beginnings of wanting only to answer my own questions, Vampires Revealed has evolved into a comprehensive and unique piece of work. It is best described as an autobiographical, mocumentary expose, written from the perspective of a 3000 year old vampire.

“Leave behind your preconceived ideas, forget the horror stories and disregard everything you think you know about vampires.  Never before have humans had and an opportunity such as this.  To know the unadulterated truth, for every question you may have ever had about vampires to be answered.”

I now find myself completely drawn in to the world shown to me by Bektamun and look forward to exploring it with my future works. Writing Vampires Revealed has given me enormous pleasure, I sincerely hope you gain as much pleasure from reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment