Monday, September 12, 2011

A Review of Vampires Revealed by Rebeka Harrington

Vampire novels are everywhere.  My evil twin, Jerry Wright, wrote one with Barb Jones.  Go to a bookstore and there about half a million of them everywhere.  There are bad vampires, good vampires, gross vampires, sparkly vampires--you name it. Okay, let's face facts, vampire books have kind of become the disco music of literature.  It's a guilty pleasure we sing along with when nobody is looking and make fun of when people pay attention.  Alright...here goes...Hello, I'm WJ, and I'm a vampaholic.
Seriously, though, why are we sick of vampires?  The answers easy--they've become the sparkly stuff of young adult fiction and nearly completely lost their edge.  However, Almost everyone who hates the proliferation of vampire novels would still agree that Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire (Vampire Chronicles) is a great book.  Why?  Her vampires aren't monstrous, and the Twillight weaklings wouldn't have ever been developed without that great book.  I'm not convinced we need fewer vampire novels.  I think we need more for adults.

The author of today's book agrees.  Take a look at her guest post from yesterday, Vampires: Done to Death?   Rebeka Harrington's new book Vampires Revealed does a fine job with that. It's a well-put together novel that doesn't focus on the sparkly if you're a twelve year old you're going to faint concept of vampires.  Still, the three-thousand year old vampire character of Bektamun has plenty of personality above and beyond the fact that she sucks blood.  Harrington takes on origin myths, day to day life, and basic questions that tend to be unanswered (or worse, assumed based on other literature) in vampire fiction today.

The character is cool.  I haven't before read a novel from a female vampire's point of view.  Harrington has created an interesting character that avoids nearly all of the junk that's put vampire fiction out of fashion over the last few years.  I'm looking forward to more in the series.  Oh--quick point here.  It's not only better than the childish YA stuff out there, but this novel is definitely NOT FOR KIDS.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post! I am obviously a vampire writer, too, although I never meant to be. The story that I found myself writing was merely a crime story that ended up being vampires.
    Anyway, I read the guest post and am curious to see what Harrington has up her sleeve with this book.

    -Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jimmy, vampires open up so many possibilities, for location, timing and even genre. I'm amazed more authors aren't writing abou them.

    I daresay I have a trick or too up my 'inhuman' sleeve too keep you interested. :)

    ReplyDelete